|АвтоАвтоматизацияАрхитектураАстрономияАудитБиологияБухгалтерияВоенное делоГенетикаГеографияГеологияГосударствоДомДругоеЖурналистика и СМИИзобретательствоИностранные языкиИнформатикаИскусствоИсторияКомпьютерыКулинарияКультураЛексикологияЛитератураЛогикаМаркетингМатематикаМашиностроениеМедицинаМенеджментМеталлы и СваркаМеханикаМузыкаНаселениеОбразованиеОхрана безопасности жизниОхрана ТрудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПриборостроениеПрограммированиеПроизводствоПромышленностьПсихологияРадиоРегилияСвязьСоциологияСпортСтандартизацияСтроительствоТехнологииТорговляТуризмФизикаФизиологияФилософияФинансыХимияХозяйствоЦеннообразованиеЧерчениеЭкологияЭконометрикаЭкономикаЭлектроникаЮриспунденкция||
Andriyivsky Uzviz (Andriyivsky Descent)
The most ancient and steep street in Kyiv, Andriyivsky Uzviz, is Kyivites' favorite place for outdoor fairs, festivals, and concerts. Art galleries, shops, and studios make Andriyivsky Uzviz the best place to shop for Ukrainian crafts and artworks. Cultural museums located here reveal the history of the legendary street and of the whole Kyiv. Overlooking Andriyivsky Uzviz and Podil, the old section of Kyiv, stands the Ukrainian Baroque church of St. Andrew designed in 1754 by the Italian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli. This five-domed church remains the major adornment of the upper city. The Castle of Richard in the modernized Gothic style built in 1902 is Andriyivsky Uzviz' another distinctive feature. The building is currently being reconstructed into a hotel.
One of the most interesting buildings in Kyiv is located in a very quiet and peaceful part of the downtown. A well-known architect Horodetskyi built the house as a private residence in 1902-1903. The walls and the roof of the structure are decorated with intricate sculptural ornaments of mythological and hunting themes. The building is considered one of the most fascinating architectural creations in Kyiv.
The structure of this Russian Orthodox Church which was built in 1882 reflects features of the Neo-Byzantine style. The murals of the church interior done by famous Russian painters present considerable artistic significance. The mosaics of the authorship of Venetian masters and the choir music performed in the cathedral are not to be missed.
Khreshchatyk is the main street in Kyiv. It was recently renovated into one of the most scenic and beautiful places that combine the features of a busy business centre with the historical architectural design of buildings. The street leads to Maidan Nezalezhnosti, the city's main square and one of the most popular places of meetings. On weekends, the traffic is blocked on Khreshchatyk, and visitors can enjoy a nice walk right in the middle of the street.
worship – поклоніння
catacombs – підземелля, катакомби
saints' relics – мощі святих
treasures – скарби, багатства
downtown – центр міста
the Baptizer of Rus – Хреститель Русі
reign – правління
gorgeous golden domes – розкішні золоті куполи
under the supervision – під керівництвом
steep street – крута вулиця
adornment – прикраса
intricate – заплутаний, складний
murals – фрески
E x e r c i s e s
I. Answer the questions:
1. How is also called the the Kyivo-Pecherska Lavra?
2. Where is National Opera Houselocated?
3. Who was Prince Volodymyr?
4. When St. Sophia Cathedral was built?
5. For what purposes is Maryinsky Palace used for?
6. What can we see at Andriyivsky Uzviz?
7. What building is considered one of the most fascinating architectural creations in Kyiv?
8. What do you know about Volodymyr Cathedral?
9. What do you know about Khreshchatyk and Maidan Nezalezhnosti?
II. Find the correct English word for the phrase:
1. the activity of praying or singing in a religious building in order to show respect and love to God –
2. a very valuable and important object such as painting or ancient document –
3. a round roof of a building –
4. something that makes you remember and respect someone important or an important event in the past –
5. a pattern or picture made by fitting together small pieces of coloured stone, glass etc –
6. a painting made on a wall while the plaster is still wet –
7. a job or activity in which you make things with your hands, and that you usually need skill to do –
8. someone who paints pictures –
9. the vehicles moving along a road or street –
Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Студалл.Орг (0.005 сек.)