|АвтоАвтоматизацияАрхитектураАстрономияАудитБиологияБухгалтерияВоенное делоГенетикаГеографияГеологияГосударствоДомДругоеЖурналистика и СМИИзобретательствоИностранные языкиИнформатикаИскусствоИсторияКомпьютерыКулинарияКультураЛексикологияЛитератураЛогикаМаркетингМатематикаМашиностроениеМедицинаМенеджментМеталлы и СваркаМеханикаМузыкаНаселениеОбразованиеОхрана безопасности жизниОхрана ТрудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПриборостроениеПрограммированиеПроизводствоПромышленностьПсихологияРадиоРегилияСвязьСоциологияСпортСтандартизацияСтроительствоТехнологииТорговляТуризмФизикаФизиологияФилософияФинансыХимияХозяйствоЦеннообразованиеЧерчениеЭкологияЭконометрикаЭкономикаЭлектроникаЮриспунденкция||
EXERCISES IN LEXICOLOGY. Ex. 11. Recast the following using verbs with the prefix "re-"
Ex. 11. Recast the following using verbs with the prefix "re-". Make other necessary changes.
Model: He had towrite the exerciseagain.
He had torewrite the exercise.
1. The secretaryread the letter asecond time. 2. To our disappointment the job had to bedone over again. 3. The girl seems to have liked the book so much that sheread itover three times at least. 4. As the mantold the storyagain, he added a few details. 5. We felt very much in debt to the old man for his kindness and understanding and wondered how we couldpay himback. 6. My friend went away promising tojoin usagain later in the evening. 7. In a few moments the sunappeared again from behind the clouds. 8. Shearranged the flowers on the tablein a different way.
Ex. 12. Recast the following using verbs instead of the nouns in bold type. Make all necessary changes.
1. He thought to himself that he should have taken therisk. 2. They all made arush for the bus. 3. I don't like this fruit, it has a bitter taste. 4. He had made excel lent use of the material and his article on the subject was a pleasure to read. 5. Nomention was ever made of that particular incident. 6. A carefulsearch of the room had been made but nothing was found. 7. He had hismeasure taken for a new suit of clothes. 8. What was theend of the story? 9. He said it in awhisper and I didn't catch the exact words. 10. The coat was a perfectfit. 11. The man gave us an indifferentstare.
Ex. 13.Answer the following questions, expressing disagreement with the speaker and using in a) words opposite in meaning to those given in bold type, in b) antonyms with the appropriate negative prefix (un-, dis-).
a) 1. Did she accept the invitation? 2. Did you manage tocatch the last bus yesterday? 3. I hear your teamlost the game. Is thatright? 4. Should I take part in the climb? Won't itdo harm to my heart? 5. Did youmanage to finish the work in time? 6. How did she take the news? Did she take itbadly? 7. Is the fellow easy to deal with? 8. Is a journey along those roadsrisky?
b) 1. Do you think itreasonable to spend money on things you can't afford? 2. Was hecertain about the time and place of the meeting? 3. Was hesatisfied with the arrangement? 4. Is the food at the placefit to eat?
Ex. 14. Give English equivalents for the Russian words.
1. a) For some reason or other he failed to give а (прямой) answer to the Question, b) When they heard the bell they rose and passed (прямo) into the hall. 2. a) It was a rather (продолжительный) visit, b) He had waited (долго) for this chance. 3. a) Shopping is always а (тяжелая) job for me. b) We never expected him to take the refusal so (тяжело). 4. a) Have you any (близкие) relatives in Moscow? b) I'll be needing you, stay somewhere (близко). 5. a) They started off (поздно), b) They couldn't even think of going there at such а (поздний) hour.
Ex. 15. Complete the following choosing the right word in the brackets. Translate the sentences into Russian.
1. a) He seems to be working ... . b) She was beside herself with excitement and could ... say a word. (hard, hardly) 2. a) Why not walk there? He lives quite ... . b) He ... broke his leg when he fell down the steps, (near, nearly) 3. a) What are you doing here so...? b) What have you been doing with yourself ...? (late, lately) 4. a) They left ... before our arrival, b) She wears her hair .... (short, shortly) 5. a) He is said to be a promising engineer. He is ... spoken of. b) Hold your head ..., you have nothing to be ashamed of. (high, highly) 6. a) She was ... touched by their kind attention, b) He went ... into the subject, (deep, deeply) 7. a) He opened his eyes ... when I told him about it. b) This method is ... used in indushy; .(wide, widely) 8. a) The lecture began at eleven o'clock ... . b) "Don't disturb me any more," he said ... . (sharp, sharply).
Ex. 16. Give words of the same root in Russian. Compare the meaning.
situation, chance, partner, surprise, risk, instructions, service, satisfaction, manager, business
Ex. 17. Give the meaning of the words in bold type, note the effect of the adverbial particle. Say which phrase is used literally and which has a figurative meaning. Give your own examples.
1. a) The boyhurried off and a second later Danny was trying on a blue jacket, b) He was told tohurry up if he didn't want to be left behind. 2. a) She paid the money,picked up the parcel and disappeared through the door. b) He seems tohave picked up the wrong accent, rather difficult to get rid of now. c) There were so many tasty things on the table! After some careful thinking the boypicked out a big red apple. d) Nobody knew how he happened to bepicked out for the job 3. a) Shecame up and smiled, b) The problem is sure tocome up sooner or later. 4. a) The boytore off a piece of paper but it was too small to wrap the book. b) Shetore out a sheet from her notebook and sat down to write a hurried note. c) Hetore up the letter without reading it. 5. a) He seems to havepaid off his debts at last. b) He was warned that if he didn't pay up by a certain day he would be getting into trouble. 6. a) He broke off the end of the stick. Now it seemed to be the right length, b) They broke off to have tea.
Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Студалл.Орг (0.006 сек.)