АвтоАвтоматизацияАрхитектураАстрономияАудитБиологияБухгалтерияВоенное делоГенетикаГеографияГеологияГосударствоДомДругоеЖурналистика и СМИИзобретательствоИностранные языкиИнформатикаИскусствоИсторияКомпьютерыКулинарияКультураЛексикологияЛитератураЛогикаМаркетингМатематикаМашиностроениеМедицинаМенеджментМеталлы и СваркаМеханикаМузыкаНаселениеОбразованиеОхрана безопасности жизниОхрана ТрудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПриборостроениеПрограммированиеПроизводствоПромышленностьПсихологияРадиоРегилияСвязьСоциологияСпортСтандартизацияСтроительствоТехнологииТорговляТуризмФизикаФизиологияФилософияФинансыХимияХозяйствоЦеннообразованиеЧерчениеЭкологияЭконометрикаЭкономикаЭлектроникаЮриспунденкция
DESCRIPTIVE WRITING. 13. Coach Rake, the main character of the extract, is no doubt quite a controversial person
13. Coach Rake, the main character of the extract, is no doubt quite a controversial person. Let`s try to make an overall assessment of his personality in a “for and against” essay. Before you start writing your essay you should make a list of the points for and against.
14. Here are some useful tips on how to write a "for and against" essay. It is
1) an introductory paragraph in which you clearly state the topic to be discussed, without giving your opinion;
2) a main body in which the points for and against along with your justifications, examples or reasons are presented in separate paragraphs;
3) a closing paragraph in which you state your opinion or give a balanced consideration of the topic.
Note: Opinion words (I think, I believe, In my opinion, etc.) can only be used in the closing paragraph where you give your opinion on the topic.
Before you start writing your essay study the following words and phrases which may prove helpful:
1) to list advantages:
One/Another/A further/An additional (major) advantage of... is.... The main/greatest/first advantage of... is...;
2) to list disadvantages:
One/Another/A further/An additional (major) disadvantage/drawback of.... The main/greatest/most serious/first disadvantage /drawback of.... Another negative aspect of....;
3) to introduce points/arguments for or against:
One (very convincing) point/argument in favour of... / against …. A further common criticism of.... / It could be argued that …. / It is widely argued/
4) to introduce examples:
for example, for instance, such as, like, in particular, particularly, especially. This is (clearly) illustrated/shown by the fact that.... One/A clear/striking/
5) to express reality:
in fact, the fact (of the matter) is, actually, in practice, it is a fact that, in effect;
6) to make general statements:
as a (general) rule, generally, in general, on the whole, by and large, in most cases;
7) to make partially correct statements:
to a certain extent/degree, to some extent/degree, in a way/sense, this is partly true (but), to a limited extent, there is some truth in (this), in some cases, up to a point.
Now write your essay paying attention to both positive and negative sides of Coach Rake`s complex personality (150 words).
15. In the closing part of your essay you are to express your personal opinion about the man. Write two versions of the conclusion expressing your opinion in two different ways: indirectly and directly. Here are some useful expressions:
1) conclusion expressing balanced considerations/opinion indirectly:
In conclusion, it can/must be said/claimed that...;
On balance, it seems/appears that...;
All things considered, it is likely/unlikely/possible/foreseeable that...;
All in all, it is true to say that...;
All things considered, the obvious conclusion to be drawn is that...;
There is no absolute answer to the question of…;
2) conclusion expressing opinion directly:
All things considered, I (firmly) believe/feel/think that...;
Taking everything into account/consideration, I am convinced that...;
I am inclined to believe that...;
I (do not) agree that/with...;
Taking everything into account, I therefore conclude/feel/believe (that)...;
For the above-mentioned reasons, therefore, I (firmly) believe that....
Work in small groups. Do research on the Internet aimed at finding out more about life and activities of a legendary athlete. Organize your information and prepare a guided tour of an athletic Hall of Fame. The sports and athletes are your own choice.
History is something belonging to the past, isn’t it? But sometimes past and present are intertwined and you have a unique chance to meet history face to face. Would modern people recognize this chance or take it for granted? That’s what the story you are going to read focuses on.
Поиск по сайту:
Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Студалл.Орг (0.004 сек.)