АвтоАвтоматизацияАрхитектураАстрономияАудитБиологияБухгалтерияВоенное делоГенетикаГеографияГеологияГосударствоДомДругоеЖурналистика и СМИИзобретательствоИностранные языкиИнформатикаИскусствоИсторияКомпьютерыКулинарияКультураЛексикологияЛитератураЛогикаМаркетингМатематикаМашиностроениеМедицинаМенеджментМеталлы и СваркаМеханикаМузыкаНаселениеОбразованиеОхрана безопасности жизниОхрана ТрудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПриборостроениеПрограммированиеПроизводствоПромышленностьПсихологияРадиоРегилияСвязьСоциологияСпортСтандартизацияСтроительствоТехнологииТорговляТуризмФизикаФизиологияФилософияФинансыХимияХозяйствоЦеннообразованиеЧерчениеЭкологияЭконометрикаЭкономикаЭлектроникаЮриспунденкция
AFTER-READING ACTIVITIES. Answer the following questions
Answer the following questions.
1. Was Stoffel`s attitude towards black people extraordinary in any way?
2. In what way did excellence in sports promote Stoffel`s success?
3. Did the main character’s political views change as he matured?
4. What do you think might nave happened if Stoffel had become
5. How can you explain Stoffel`s disregard for the contempt the world community expressed towards his country’s political regime?
6. What shocked Stoffel more: the fact that his new heart was “black” or that he didn’t have much to live?
7. Why did the bank support Stoffel in his daring attempt to fight apartheid?
8. Do you find the ending of the story very moving? Why?
9. In what way would you interpret the story title?
8. Find all the words with the help of which the author describes Stoffel van den Berg`s outstanding sports career. Make a list of sport terms you come across.
Let us describe the characters of the story with the help of their remarks. Find out whom this remark belongs to and make a brief description of their character.
1. “I’ll go to my grave knowing apartheid must be right, for blacks as well as for whites.”
2. “If we allow a bunch of students in England to dictate the bank’s policy, we’ll end up with some black wanting my job.”
3. “But... wasn’t he black?”
4. “Thank you, master, no need to visit me.”
5. “I’ve been so blind.”
6. “Don’t imagine that you’re the only person whose eyes have been opened by this tragedy.”
7. “I know what I must do.”
10. Study the way the author describes the change that occurred in Stoffel van den Berg`s mind. Notice his actions and moods and comment on the ways they are depicted. Comment on the new name the main character was given.
Let us focus on style. Read the definition of a stylistic device and find its examples in the story.
Repetition is one of the syntactical stylistic devices. It is mainly used when the speaker experiences strong emotional stress. The stylistic device of repetition aims at logical emphasis, at drawing the readers` attention to the key word or phrase.
12. Recall other sport stories you`ve ever read or watched. Which is the top one for you? Write down the content of the story of your choice (20 sentences).
Clustering. Transfer this boxed subject onto your notebook page. Write related ideas, box them and connect them with lines to your subject and to each other. Swap your cluster diagram with your desk partner and point out the most interesting issues.
Everything we do affects our senses. If you pay attention to this phenomenon you can improve your writing with vivid sensory details. Record such details about a familiar experience: a gym class or sports practice.
Поиск по сайту:
Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Студалл.Орг (0.003 сек.)