|АвтоАвтоматизацияАрхитектураАстрономияАудитБиологияБухгалтерияВоенное делоГенетикаГеографияГеологияГосударствоДомДругоеЖурналистика и СМИИзобретательствоИностранные языкиИнформатикаИскусствоИсторияКомпьютерыКулинарияКультураЛексикологияЛитератураЛогикаМаркетингМатематикаМашиностроениеМедицинаМенеджментМеталлы и СваркаМеханикаМузыкаНаселениеОбразованиеОхрана безопасности жизниОхрана ТрудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПриборостроениеПрограммированиеПроизводствоПромышленностьПсихологияРадиоРегилияСвязьСоциологияСпортСтандартизацияСтроительствоТехнологииТорговляТуризмФизикаФизиологияФилософияФинансыХимияХозяйствоЦеннообразованиеЧерчениеЭкологияЭконометрикаЭкономикаЭлектроникаЮриспунденкция||
Answer the following questions
1. In what way did the parents try to improve the financial situation in the family ? Did they succeed ?
2. What impression did the conversation with mother about luck produce on Paul ? What makes you think so ?
3. What was the aim of the partnership Paul had formed with his friend the gardener ?
4. Why did Oscar Cresswell join the partnership ? What benefits for himself did he foresee ?
5. Why didn’t Paul want to tell his mother that he was lucky ?
6. Why couldn`t the boy stop trying to guess the name of the winner ? Was he doing it for his own sake ?
7. Was the mother satisfied with the generous gift she received ?
8. Can you notice any change in the mother’s attitude towards her son ? What kind of change is that ?
9. What was the reason for Paul’s death ? Can we say that the boy became a victim of his unusual gift ?
Find all the words with the help of which the author describes Paul in the process of guessing yet another winner. Pay special attention to the description of movements and gestures. Every little detail matters, doesn’t it ? Can you feel the tension mount ? Is there anything ominous and foreboding in the descriptions ?
Let us describe the characters of the story with the help of their remarks. Find out whom this remark belongs to and make a brief description of their character.
1. That’s why it’s better to be born lucky than rich. If you’re rich, you may lose your money. But if you’re lucky, you will always get more money.
2. I can’t be lucky, if I married an unlucky husband.
3. Now, take me to where there is luck ! Now take me !
4. You won’t let it go any further, will you ?
5. Of course, I started it for mother. She said she had no luck, because father is unlucky, so I thought if I was lucky, it might stop whispering.
6. And then the house whispers, like people laughing at you behind your back. It’s awful, that is ! I thought if I was lucky…
7. He’s very good, he always keeps me company, when I’m there.
Let us focus on style. Read the definition of a stylistic device and find its examples in the story. How important do you think they are for the impression the author intends to create ?
Personification is the act of representing objects or qualities as human beings.
Practise applying of the main principles of personification. Try writing statements about the characters of the story you’ve just read.
Tell a tale of mystery now. Remember (or invent) an episode from you life when you met with the mysterious and inexplicable face to face. Give a description as colorful as possible.
Clustering. Find as many associations as possible with money. Be ready to explain why many people say that money is the root of all evil.
14. Using some of your ideas write an opinion essay about money and its influence on people’s lives. Such an essay is piece of writing that requires your opinion on a topic, which must be stated clearly, giving various viewpoints on the topic supported by reasons and/or examples. You should also include the opposing viewpoint in another paragraph.
Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Студалл.Орг (0.038 сек.)