Практическое занятие №4. 1. Semantic structure of the word
1. Semantic structure of the word.
2. Types of semantic components.
3. Meaning and context.
4. Combinability (collocability) of the words.
1) translatethe following words into Russian:
twofold, concept, referent, tools of language, utterances of speech, quantitative growth, qualitative growth, to oust, denotative component, connotative component, hypothesis, transitive verb.
2) explainthe following scheme :
2) givethe definition of polycemy.
3) answerthe question : What is the general tendency with English vocabulary at the modern stage of its history?
4) speak oneach of two levels of analysis in investigating of the semantic structure of a word;
5) enumeratethe types of semantic components which can be distinguished within the meaning of a word; represent your own examples;
6) explainthe term “combinability”(collocability); give the examples of differentiation between the different meanings of a word and different variations of combinability.
practical work: 1) ex.3 p.143 ( make the groups of words which represent the
same meaning; explain the different meanings and the different usages).
7) listento the jokes and explain on which meanings of the verb “to take “ they are based.
8) read and retellex.5 p.145 and give the linguistic analysis of the context and the words used in it.
New topic : Polysemy.Development of new meaning.
Listen to the explanation of the reasons of development of the new meanings in English. Copy out the following two schemes :
a) Why the development 1. historical /extra-linguistic factors
2. influence of other words
b) How the development Means of transference
Similiarity Contiguity Broadning/Generalization Degradation
(metaphor) (metonymy) Narrowing/Specialization Elevation
Home work :1) Learn the material p.147-160 of the textbook.
2) Answer the questions 3-5 p.160 of the textbookbook.
3) Ex.2 p.160 of the textbook (read, translate and explain).
4) Study two schemes and fill them with your own examples.
Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Студалл.Орг (0.004 сек.)