|АвтоАвтоматизацияАрхитектураАстрономияАудитБиологияБухгалтерияВоенное делоГенетикаГеографияГеологияГосударствоДомДругоеЖурналистика и СМИИзобретательствоИностранные языкиИнформатикаИскусствоИсторияКомпьютерыКулинарияКультураЛексикологияЛитератураЛогикаМаркетингМатематикаМашиностроениеМедицинаМенеджментМеталлы и СваркаМеханикаМузыкаНаселениеОбразованиеОхрана безопасности жизниОхрана ТрудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПриборостроениеПрограммированиеПроизводствоПромышленностьПсихологияРадиоРегилияСвязьСоциологияСпортСтандартизацияСтроительствоТехнологииТорговляТуризмФизикаФизиологияФилософияФинансыХимияХозяйствоЦеннообразованиеЧерчениеЭкологияЭконометрикаЭкономикаЭлектроникаЮриспунденкция||
The man who escaped. 1. It is six o'clock on a very cold winter evening
1. It is six o'clock on a very cold winter evening. People are in their living-rooms and watch the news on television or listen to it on the radio. There is one very important piece of news this evening. It is this.
«In the West of England this evening, hundreds of policemen are looking for a man who escaped from Princeville Prison early this morning. The man's name is Edward Coke. He is 30 years old, six feet tall, and has black hair and blue eyes. He is in a dark blue prison uniform. The police do not think he can stay free very long. It is only a few degrees above zero and it is snowing».
2. The radio is on in an expensive pub in Soho, in the centre of London. Most of the people there are not very interested in the news programme, but one man is. His name is Eric Masters. He is about 45 and is in very expensive clothes. He looks very afraid of something. There is another man standing next to him in the bar. Masters asks him a question.
«Did they say the man's name was Coke?»
«Yes, that's right. Coke... Edward Coke. Why? Do you know him?»
«Do you know him?»
«No... no, I don't know him... I just wanted to know the man's name, that's all».
3. In another part of London, a young detective is standing in the office of his chief at Scotland Yard. The young detective's name is Richard Baxter.
«You knew Coke, didn't you, Baxter?»
«Yes, sir. I arrested him four years ago».
«Yes, I know that, Baxter. That's why I give you this order, now. Find Coke again! You must find him immediately!»
2.5.2. Выберите правильный вариант. Не пользуйтесь текстом.
1. This man has...
a) white hair and brown eyes;
b) black hair and blue eyes;
c) grey hair and blue eyes.
2. The temperature is...
a) a few degrees above zero;
c) a few degrees below zero.
3. Eric Masters...
a) is looking very pleased;
b) is in a hurry;
c) is looking very afraid.
4. Baxter's chief gives him the order to arrest Coke because...
a) he arrested him 2 years ago;
b) he didn't arrest him 4 years ago;
c) he arrested him 4 years ago.
2.5.3. Ответьте на вопросы преподавателя. (Книги закрыты.)
1. What do people do on a cold winter evening?
2. What is the description of Edward Coke given in the news?
3. Why do the police think he can't stay free very long?
4. How does Eric Masters look like?
5. Why is Richard Baxter given an order to arrest Coke?
2.6.1. Прочитайте вопросы. Вам нужно ответить на них после прочтения текста
1. What did the man hear?
2. What did the man think?
3. What did the man at the station say?
2.6.2.Начинайте просматривать текст. Не забудьте отметить время начала и конца работы.
Not a robber
A young man was going from the railway station. It was a dark night and there was nobody in the street. He was walking as fast as he could when suddenly he heard that somebody was following him. The faster he went, the faster the man behind him followed him. The man decided to turn into a side-street. After some time he looked back and saw that the other man was still following him. «That man behind me wants to rob me», thought the first man and seeing a high wall around a garden jumped over it. The other man jumped over the wall too. Now he was quite sure that this man was a robber, but he couldn't understand why the robber was not in a hurry to attack him.
The man didn't know what to do. Then he turned round and said: «What do you want? Why are you following me?»
«I'm going to Mr. White and the man at the station told me to go after you because Mr. White lives next door to you. Excuse me please but will you have some more jumping tonight or will you go straight home?»
2.6.3. Ответьте на вопросы в п. 2.6.1. (Книги закрыты.)
Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Студалл.Орг (0.011 сек.)